Thursday, August 3, 2017

Minneapolis Moments Part One

"How will you make it on your own? This world is awfully big, girl this time you're all alone. But it's time you started living; it's time you let someone else do some giving. Love is all around, no need to waste it. You can have the town, why don't you take it? You're gonna make it after all." -- Opening lyrics to Mary Tyler Moore Show

Following the January death of Mary Tyler Moore, I decided to take a little pilgrimage. The area had been on my list for a while because of Mankato (see post of Aug. 1) and Walnut Grove. I thought this might be a good time to go and also get a glimpse of some MTM sites. Thus began my Minneapolis research...

Well, I had no idea! Minneapolis is full of interesting history, activities, people, and natural wonders. As I made my plans I realized that a week would not be enough, so I settled on 10 days. That would give me a couple of days to rent a car and travel away from the city to visit nearby towns and states.

I stayed in Bloomington near the Mall of America, and the mall pretty much became my transportation hub. My free hotel shuttle would deliver me to the mall or another nearby light rail station. When I was ready to return to my hotel, I would ride the light rail back to the mall, and then count on a minimal wait there, as the shuttle made scheduled pick-ups all day. To get to Minneapolis or St. Paul, I just rode the quick inexpensive light rail. (An interesting note about this city's light rail is that it works on the honor system. You purchase your "ticket," but there is no one to check the ticket when you enter the train. The Minneapolis transportation police do spot checks, asking riders for proof of passage. If you don't have the proof, it's an automatic fine of $180!!! I saw random checks twice during my visit.)


One of the first things I did in Minneapolis was to visit the places important to the Mary Tyler Moore Show. I remember watching this show weekly with my family when I was young. The show will always hold a special place in my heart, and getting to see the iconic sites was exciting. There were three main points of interest for me. In downtown Minneapolis inside the visitor's center is a small bronze statue of Mary throwing her hat in the air. (In the opening of the show she throws her hat in the air in the middle of Nicolett Mall.) The statue usually stands outside in the mall area, but due to ongoing construction, it has been moved into the visitor's center. If you get off the light rail at the Nicolett Mall stop, turn right and cross 5th Street, the center is in the corner building. There are no signs on the outside, so it's a little tricky.

mary tyler moore statue minneapolis

The statue of the famous hat toss!


One of the many humorous signs around the construction area! Work has been going on since May of 2015! 

Near Nicollet Mall stands the building used for outside shots of WJM Studios where Mary worked for the entire series. It's hard to see this building and not think of Mr. Grant, Murray, Ted, and Mary as they made us laugh and sometimes cry.


The final place I had to see on my MTM trek required a short bus ride and a decent walk into the lovely Kenwood Park neighborhood. This area sits beside a lake (one of Minnesota's 10,000) and has some of the loveliest homes I saw on my trip. The most important home is the site Mary and Rhoda's home (the outside of it anyway) which sits on Kenwood Parkway. 


In case you're interested, the house is for sale for only $1,695,000. What a steal for 9,500 square feet of Mary Tyler Moore history!!!



Just one example of the beautiful homes in the Kenwood Park area. I don't want to show you too many and spoil the fun when you go!

Minneapolis is an awesome place, and I had so much fun! I saw things I've never seen and did many things I've never done, way to much to fit onto one post here. Visit again to learn about kayaking on the Mississippi River and to see pictures of one of the most well-known waterfalls in the world!

**Mary's house -- 2104 Kenwood Parkway
    Visitor Center -- 505 Nicollet Mall
    WJM Studios -- 801 Nicollet Mall
** I stayed at Comfort Inn Airport Bloomington. The hotel was nothing special, but the shuttle drivers were very helpful and friendly. There are TONS of hotels in the airport area; they're probably all pretty much the same. If I were to return to Minneapolis, I would definitely choose to stay downtown next time in order to enjoy more nighttime activities. 


No comments:

Post a Comment