Saturday, August 5, 2017

Minnehaha Falls

"'Hark!' she said, 'I hear a rushing, hear a roaring and a rushing, hear the falls of Minnehaha calling to me from a distance!'" -- from "The Song of Hiawatha" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

One of my favorite spots in Minneapolis was Minnehaha Park. It is a large pleasant park between downtown Minneapolis and Bloomington. The park is the home to Minnehaha Falls, Longfellow House, the John H. Stevens House, Longfellow Gardens, several walking and biking trails, and a restaurant. I spent a full day here just soaking it all in!

The falls can be easily seen from above. For a closer look, you can follow some stone steps to a bridge which crosses Minnehaha Creek just below the falls. The steps are numerous and steep, but there is a bench part way down which is perfect for a brief rest.


The view from above the falls.

tourist spot minneapolis

The view from the bridge below the falls.

There is a gorgeous trail (slightly rocky and uneven) which follows the creek. It was very enjoyable. Lower down was a huge surprise. The creek widens below another bridge and is a refreshing swimming hole! By early afternoon, there were tons of kids of all ages cooling off. I preferred just following the trail along and enjoying the different creek views.


The park itself is spacious and so enjoyable. There are several paths specifically for bikes (Minneapolis is famous for its bike trails.) and several nearby bike rental sites. The park also has some very special rentals for families; I found myself wishing I were with a large group so that I could take advantage of these park rentals. They resembled old carriages but were pedal-powered. Take a look!


Doesn't it look like fun?!

One last aspect I loved about the park was the on-site restaurant. It is not fancy but is in a perfect location, right under the large shade trees and within a short walk of the falls. Most seating is outside although you order at a counter inside. The name of the restaurant is Sea Salt Eatery, and the fare is obviously seafood. I had the shrimp tacos and loved them! (Full disclosure: I actually had the shrimp tacos twice, once after kayaking and then again when I spent the day at the park. YUM!)




Overall, I recommend the falls, the park, and the restaurant to all Minneapolis visitors! It is worth setting aside the better part of a day. 

**Helpful Notes:
To visit the park by light rail, take the blue line and get off at the Minnehaha Park stop. If you are driving, the address is 4801 S. Minnehaha Drive. I saw lots of parking spaces available. 
The "wheel fun rentals" are available near the restaurant and are rented hourly for rates between $13 and $35 an hour depending on size. 
Sea Salt Eatery is located in the center of the park. Click the link for the menu and daily specials!

No comments:

Post a Comment