Sunday, June 3, 2018

Great Smoky Mountain Railroad

"The mountains are calling, and I must go." -- John Muir

I first noticed the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad several years ago as I made my way across western North Carolina along the Nantahala River. Seeing that steam locomotive chug its way beside the river instilled in me an instant desire to ride that train! It took a couple of years, but finally last fall I climbed on board.

My sister and I took a couple of days off, and had a girls' trip. the whole weekend did not disappoint. We arrived in Bryson City late around dinner time on Friday evening, and strolled around the little town, getting our bearings. After a quiet night in our motel near the river, we were ready for a train ride on Saturday morning!


I mistakenly made reservations on the Moonshine Car. This was quite funny, because neither my sister no I drink. Included in our ticket happened to be several complimentary shots of various flavors of moonshine. Our car was perfect, as we were seated in comfortable rotating seats beside huge picture windows. Besides the moonshine, our ticket included brunch and dessert, both of which were delicious!




The ride itself was so enjoyable as we made our way along through the fall foliage, meandering back and forth across the river and between hills. We made a stop at the Nantahala Outdoor Center and were able to walk around, even exploring a small part of the Appalachian Trail! On returning to the train, we soon were making our way back to Bryson City. On the return trip, we were even treated to some live "hillbilly" music. 

Our train experience ended, we meandered through the Bryson City Train Museum (admission was also part of our ticket cost) and enjoyed this very much. We spent another evening browsing the Bryson City stores, and we both got some great deals on some clothing.

The next day we explored some nature trails and river hikes before heading back to Greensboro. It was one of the most special few days that I've ever had!



No comments:

Post a Comment