Thursday, July 18, 2019

PCH -- Day 1 -- Santa Cruz

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." -- St. Augustine

Today I picked up my rental car and began my journey south down the Pacific Coast Highway. I was slightly apprehensive initially because I had to get from the San Francisco Airport to Highway 1 via a California freeway. (Ahhhhh!) My prayers though, along with those of some faithful warriors got me through the anticipated rough spot with great ease. I was on the PCH in no time and was immediately in awe.

My first glimpse of the Pacific was just that, a glimpse, but I didn't have to drive far before there was a place to pull off at Half Moon Bay. I got some great pictures. I continued south, pulling off every time I saw something I wanted to get a picture of. There are several state beaches with safe parking lots, bathrooms, and trails to the beach. The fee is $10 for the day and is on an honor basis. Since I just pulled in for a few pictures, I paid at the first beach but not afterwards. I hope that was ethical; I didn't feel like I cheated them. Enjoy these beach pictures.









I chose to spend my first night on the road in Santa Cruz. I made this decision for two reasons: the boardwalk with an amusement park and the wharf with sea lions. I was not disappointed with either and was also surprised by the downtown area of Santa Cruz. The central downtown area is about a mile off the beach which helps with keeping congestion down. It is two main parallel streets with boutiques, gift shops, restaurants, and book stores including Bookshop Santa Cruz. I ate at Betty's Eat Inn downtown and had a hamburger and french fries. The hamburger was pretty good, the fries not so much. While downtown, I learned that Santa Cruz was directly affected by the 1989 earthquake when 40 buildings were damaged, killing six people. There are plaques downtown commemorating the lives lost and the rebuild.

The amusement park on the boardwalk was awesome. I compare it to Coney Island. There were a few of the same rides even. Santa Cruz has more rides and midway games, arcades, mini golf, and laser tag. Like Coney Island, there is the option of purchasing a bracelet for unlimited rides. Yes, I bought it. I rode my favorite swing ride four times. Unlike Coney Island, there is a sky glider. I rode it four times too. I also rode several others and totally got my $40 worth.




I walked out to the end of the half-mile long wharf to eat at Dolphin Restaurant. It was probably the best deal of any place I've eaten yet. I got the meal below for $24, tip included. The salmon was delicious. While eating I got to watch the fog roll in over the water, listen to the gulls and sea lions, and smell the salty beach air. So enjoyable. After dinner I visited with the many sea lions who hang around on the underside of the wharf. I highly recommend the entire wharf experience!






So ends another spectacular day. I get a little tired of just my own company sometimes, but a Facetime call to Kathryn and Saber tonight and some special encouraging texts from friends help with any loneliness which might pop up. This trip is exposing me to so many sights and experiences, and I am so grateful for this opportunity. Stay tuned for more adventures of the travel junkie teacher!

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, I am loving reading your blog posts. This is definitely a great adventure, probably one I will never take, so I'm enjoying yours right along with you. PS I found your pray shawl on Monday. Love and prayers for your safety and adventure.

    ReplyDelete