Saturday, July 27, 2019

San Diego Day 1

"One cannot collect all the beautiful shells on the beach. One can collect only a few, and they are more beautiful if they are few." -- Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Today was definitely more relaxing than yesterday. I woke up early and drove to Silver Strand Beach. In my online research I read that Silver Strand was the best beach in San Diego for collecting unbroken shells of various kinds. I did not necessarily find that to be true, but I did get some pretty shells. I will post a picture of the shells when I get home and get them all cleaned up. I am really proud of a couple of them!

After walking on the beach four hours (7.2 miles), I went to Old Town San Diego. What a neat place! Heads up, there are several parking areas, and some of them are even free. Of course the free ones were full by the time I got there at 12:00. I gave up pretty quickly and chose a lot that was $12 for 2 - 4 hours. After I parked and paid and started walking around, I found some other lots that were a little cheaper than that. Be more patient than I am in selecting your parking area. Old Town is full of restaurants, mostly Mexican. I ate at Old Town Mexican Cafe. It was extremely crowded with a 30 minute wait, so I ate at the bar. I got Steak Azteca, and it was very good. I have never had it before, never even seen it on a menu before. Following lunch I walked around Old Town for about an hour; I could have given it much more time. There are tons of souvenir shops selling Hispanic type objects and several specialty type shops. I really enjoyed a candle and soap store that I found. There is also a museum of several buildings including a school, several houses, a mission, and a fort. It is a great place to spend several hours, and I may return.

This afternoon for the first time in my California travels, I met up with friends. A friend from high school and his wife live here in San Diego. I have not seen him since high school and have never met his wife, but they very graciously asked me to stay with them while I'm here. I have really been looking forward to my visit. We spent the remainder of the day getting (re)acquainted, catching up on our families, and sharing some spiritual insights. I so enjoyed the afternoon. They have a lovely home with mountains nearby and overlooking a small valley. We went out to eat and then returned to see a gorgeous sunset tinging the lingering clouds with pink. Lovely!!!

Tomorrow I will attend church with them and then go out on my own. I plan to find the school I went to for eighth grade eons ago and find a good place to walk some trails. Then I hope to float in their beautiful pool, read, and just enjoy the peace of their home.















A gelato place we went to. I loved how they "dressed up" the gelato!

Below are sunset pictures from their back patio. GORGEOUS!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment