Saturday, July 4, 2020

Day 1 of Not the Trip I Planned

"There are many plans in a man's heart. Nevertheless the Lord's counsel -- that will stand." -- Proverbs 19:21


So, these are not the mountains I thought I'd be hiking about this time, but the Lord had other plans. He has worked using several closed doors to direct me in the way He wanted me to go, and that is Gulfport, Mississippi, not Telluride, Colorado or Meridian, Mississippi. I have been in prayer about this trip since I returned from my last big vacation, way before thoughts of any virus. The Lord, Who knows and holds my future, knew all along where I would be going. He just didn't tell me until yesterday.

I got on the road this morning headed west on Interstate 40. Before even reaching today's destination I was treated to some surprises. I was happy to eventually be on my favorite highway -- Highway 64. (If you don't have a favorite highway, you should. I recommend that you choose 64.) I curved along on this old road right next to the Broad River. The river soon opened up into Lake Lure. Not being a native North Carolinian, I was not familiar with this area. Now I can't wait to come back and stay a while. It is absolutely gorgeous. I can't imagine how awesome it must be in the fall. Right beside Lake Lure I found my second surprise, Flowering Bridge. This bridge and the accompanying gardens are always open. They are maintained by volunteers in the area and are absolutely beautiful. I was impressed by all the details and by all the "books" placed around the gardens. Enjoy the pics below. I always love the surprises on my trips, and this was an especially delightful one.







Although I will not be spending a week in the Rockies, I still wanted a little mountain time, so I have begun this year's vacation with a side trip to Chimney Rock State Park. (I know, another week, another rock.) I have never been to Chimney Rock before but had heard great things about it. I arrived at the park a little later than I had originally planned but still early enough. I got there at 10:30. There was a little line at the ticket plaza but nothing terrible. I paid the $17 entrance fee which allowed me to park and ride the shuttle. I parked, checked out the restroom, and slathered down with sunscreen before finding the shuttle.

I rode up to the next parking area where I then began the ascent to Chimney Rock itself. Near the shuttle stop are a gift shop and restroom. The trail (I chose Outcroppings) was very safe and labeled moderate to strenuous. It was UPstairs all the way! The temperature was 82 degrees with a heat index of 84, but it felt much hotter. The humidity must have been about 1000%. I did make it to the flagpole on the top of Chimney Rock, after several breaks and a bunch of water. There was another gift shop and a deli at the top. There was actually another level or two up, the Opera Box, Devil's Head, and Exclamation Point. Instead of continuing up, I chose to find the falls and was extremely happy with my decision.










Hickory Nut Falls is awesome! It was well-worth the 1.4 mile round trip. It is one of the tallest east of the Mississippi at 404 feet high. Many people opted to wade into the water at the base, but I was wary of getting into such a large group of people. After viewing, I made my way back to the shuttle stop and then back to my car. The picture and video below give just a glimpse of all the beauty I encountered.



Video of Hickory Nut Falls

Upon leaving the park, I made my way to Flat Rock and lunch. I am staying in a hotel near Hendersonville tonight before heading to Mississippi on my favorite "northern route" in the morning. Still trying to decide on my dinner destination for tonight. Updates tomorrow.

Things to Know:
**When I left the park at 1:00, they were not letting people in anymore! I know it is July 4th, but I'm thinking that it might be a daily occurrence. There was a huge line of cars headed that direction, full of disappointed people.
**Nearby is Lake Lure Beach, another very crowded destination. When I passed it at 10 on my way in, people were lined up for probably 100 yards waiting to get in. I'm not sure at what number they capped the people allowed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment