Friday, July 23, 2021

Last Five Days of Mountain Trip

 "The traveler sees what he sees; the tourist sees what he has come to see." -- Gilbert K. Chesterton

I never think of myself as a tourist, but as a traveler. The quote above suits me just fine. As wonderful as my first five days in the mountains were, the next five were just as awesome. This picture of the porch on my home-away-from-home epitomizes the trip for me. It was a time of peace and relaxation. Yes, I struggled up and down some steep mountains for the sake of a view or a spectacular waterfall; I manipulated my car around hairpin mountain curves in order to visit new towns or just for the thrill of it; I unexpectedly had to purchase four new tires, but still, peace and relaxation ruled the day.

In my online search for interesting things to do in Hendersonville, Bullington Gardens popped up. Anyone who knows me knows that I do NOT have a green thumb at all. I do however love to admire the work of those who have been gifted with thumbs of a verdant shade. In my visit to Bullington Gardens I was not disappointed. The gardens are cared for by volunteers and supported by donations. There were many types of flowers (I am not knowledgeable to explain them except to say they were all lovely) displayed in a variety of settings, including garden walks, a nature trail, and a fairy garden. I enjoyed the visit so much that I returned accompanied by my friend Mittie who came to my mountain retreat to share a few days with me. Both visits were enjoying and inspiring. We are now contemplating the possibilities of incorporating the fairy garden idea into some kind of literature garden. (You're right, that sounds more like me!)










Aren't these pictures amazing? Just imagine if you were really there! I've linked the gardens at the bottom of the page so that you can visit the next time you're in the area. They really are a must-see!
Mittie and I also spent a day on and near the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is a road with such majestic views. I apologized to her because I HAD to keep stopping at each overlook. I was afraid that I would miss a once-in-a-lifetime view. It was like I was continually drawing in my breath at the beauty of God's creation. We even had a discussion about the emptiness and lack of understanding that those who do not believe in the ONE TRUE GOD must feel when they view these vistas of wonder. I was struck time and again with the awesomeness of God's creativity, imagination, sense of humor, and majesty. 














As mentioned in my previous post, I loved my visit to Jump Off Rock. It sits on the side of the mountain in a residential area. I couldn't wait to share the view with Mittie, and it was one of the first places we went after she arrived. I loved curving up and around the mountain as she held on to what she called the "Jesus handle" above her head. The sight was again worth the drive, and this time we even got to see a wedding in progress. I also showed Mittie the bed and breakfast I'd discovered. We quickly agreed it would be the perfect spot for our Sunday brunch. We made reservations (though not required except for supper) and planned our attire. Sunday morning found us climbing the mountain again, this time anticipating sustenance for our physical bodies and not just for our love of creation. We gave the entire experience two (x2) thumbs up! The food was delicious, the service excellent, the view lovely. We're already talking about how we can actually go and stay there!












Since we're on the subject of food (see Echo Monte Cristo above) let's look at some of the other tantalizing meals Mittie and I enjoyed, shall we? We visited a German restaurant nestled in between Flat Rock and Hendersonville. It was raining and dreary outside when we went, but inside was full-on Germany! There were monitors showing German castles, countryside, and celebrations; postcards from there covered the walls; souvenirs and memorabilia sat on windowsills, countertops, and tables; it was total emersion. And the food...plentiful and yummy! 






The other places we (or I) ate were less of an "experience" but palate-pleasing nonetheless.


A meal from Tupelo Honey on the outskirts of Asheville.


A sandwich from the Garden Cafe near Rutherfordton.




Bar-b-q, cornbread, fries, and delectable shrimp and bacon grits from Flat Rock Wood Room.

Mittie and I wound up our visit with games and time on the porch due to some mountain rain that came through. The rain did nothing to dampen our time together or our enjoyment of our surroundings. After she left, it continued to rain so I finished my fourth puzzle, completed an afaghan, worked on my re-read of Bitter Blood, and watched Hallmark Movies & Mysteries; all of which I enjoyed thoroughly. My trip home was uneventful. I, as usual, drove mostly on non-interstate roads and highways. I leave you with pictures of two things you don't get to see from an interstate, along with my count of how many Bojangles I passed -- 7! What is it with Bojangles and Biscuitville anyway??????




I have included links below to some of the restaurants, Echo Mountain Inn, and Bullington Gardens.

1 comment:

  1. It’s been a busy summer for me but I was able to read this post. Now I’ll go back and read your others. I love how you travel and love your reports and photos!

    ReplyDelete