Tuesday, July 26, 2022

The Hershey Experience

 “There are three things you can never have enough of in life, Lieutenant: chocolate, friends and the theatre.”

― Jessica Fletcher  (For those of you who don't recognize her name, Jessica Fletcher is the protagonist played by Angela Lansbury in "Murder She Wrote."

My first true experience in Pennsylvania was a chocolate experience. I visited Hershey World. There were several available options, such as Hershey Park (an amusement park), gardens, a small zoo. I chose just to do the "museum experience." I bought a ticket package online ahead of time, enabling me to skip the ticket counter on site. I bought a ticket which included parking and then discovered upon leaving that they weren't charging for parking. I'm not sure what was going on with that; I probably over-paid. If you are planning a visit, check into that more carefully than I did.

When you enter the building, you are assaulted (in a good way) by the sights, sounds and smells of Hershey's chocolate. There are several photo-op stations scattered around. The actual experiences are spread throughout the area and are well-identified. There are also LOTS of items for sale! 


I was so proud of myself for not giving in to temptation. I bought one sticker for my journal and a puzzle. That's it. I promise!!! I did wander around through all the areas tempting myself though. It was kind of a Disneyesque experience with all things Hershey being sold -- stuffed animals, cups, shirts, caps, games, etc. and CANDY!

I actually took part in four separate experiences -- the free chocolate tour, the 4-d movie, Hershey's Unwrapped, and Create Your Own Candy Bar. I wanted to do the trolley ride, but it was sold out for the time I was there. Of the four things I did, I think that the tour and the create your own candy bar were the most fun. The tour was also a little like Disney, kind of a Small World ride teaching the history of Hershey's candy bars and how they are made now. It was interesting and I learned some things which I list below. Creating my own candy bar was very interesting, and I documented it in pictures below.











In the creation process, you are allowed to choose white or milk chocolate and one or more items to mix inside the bar. You can also elect to have sprinkles at the end. I chose milk chocolate with heath bar chips inside and SPRINKLES on the outside. The whole process was so interesting! You can even design your own personal wrapper to be put on at the end. It is all enclosed in a nice metal box making it easy for transport and packing. 

Here are a few of the facts I learned about Hershey's:
  • Hershey's is the only chocolate company to use fresh milk in their candy bars. They purchase it mostly from Pennsylvania dairy farmers.
  • It takes 270 beans to make 1 lb of chocolate. 
  • Kisses are named that because of the shape of the machine that drops the chocolate out.
  • Hershey's owns Reese's, Twizzler, and Jolly Rancher
Overall my Hershey experience was a good one. It is of course very touristy. I usually prefer a more unique and out-of-the-way adventure, but for the sake of chocolate....
**I have since learned of another chocolate factory in Pennsylvania that I now plan to visit. More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment