Monday, July 15, 2024

It’s All About Anne

“Isn’t it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive —it’s such an interesting world. It wouldn’t be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There’d be no scope for imaginations then, would there?  — Anne in Anne of Green Gables 


This day marked an epoch in my life, as Anne would have said. I have loved Anne since middle school. She has been my constant companion, in her books and in my imagination. She is the reason I wanted to come to Prince Edward Island. Granted, I have found the island to be much more than just Anne, but she was the draw. Seeing the home where L.M. Montgomery spent some time and was married was really nice, but I was most excited to see the house after which she modeled Anne’s home and named Green Gables. The home did not disappoint, nor did the Haunted Wood or Lovers’ Lane, both of which were near the house.

Kathryn and I spent the better part of the day here at Green Gables Heritage Place. The house is a Federal Historic Building and stands on a Prince Edward Island National Park. There was an entrance fee of $9 which in my opinion was worth it. There was an exhibit with a timeline of L.M. Montgomery’s life, information about her books, and the typewriter on which Maude typed the first Anne manuscript.

As we meandered around the home and grounds, I was enchanted. Anne is so real to me, and to be able to immerse myself in the world in which she “lived” was such a gift to me. We heard one of the guides say to a tour group that some people actually believed that Anne was real and cried when they found out that she wasn’t. Kathryn started laughing. That is not me! I know intellectually that Anne is not real, but in my heart she could not be any more of a true person! She has been my dearest and most loyal kindred spirit for  so long. 

                                                                   (Below: Lovers’ Lane)



    
                                   (Below: trail to the Haunted Wood and part of the Haunted Wood)





No comments:

Post a Comment