Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Favorite New York Moments

"I love New York even though it isn't mine, the way something has to be, a tree or a street or a house, something, anyway, that belongs to me because I belong to it." -- Truman Capote

I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it many more times; I love New York City! It's hard to even describe what it is that I love about it -- the history, the energy, the culture, the people. I'm excited when I'm headed there, consumed when I'm there, and despondent when I have to leave. (Once I even cried on the airplane as it rose into the air above JFK.) That being said, it's not the easiest task to come up with my favorite moments in the city. After much deliberation and looking over old journals, I have chosen three.

My all-time favorite moment took place on the 1 train headed uptown late one night after I saw Phantom of the Opera. I was holding my playbill and (as usual) a book. An older lady across the aisle asked me if I would read to her. What!!! I told her that I wouldn't mind but didn't think she'd be interested in either of the items I had with me. (The book was in fact a discussion of the economic disparity of NYC.) She said, "Oh, I thought you had a Bible." Well, she didn't have to say that twice. I moved across the aisle to sit beside her and opened the Bible app on my phone. I chose a portion of Romans and began reading to her. When I paused she said, "That's nice, but I was hoping you could read John 3:16." My heart just turned over. What an opportunity! I quickly "turned" there and read the verse to her. As I was reading she started crying and laid her head on my arm. I put my arm around her and just held her. I asked her if I could pray for her, and she nodded. I prayed for her dear heart and for her physical well-being. We were nearing my stop, and I knew that at that time of night I couldn't ride any further uptown. I told her that I had to get off, and she pulled herself together, thanking me repeatedly. I let her know that I would continue to pray for her (and still do daily) and exited the train. I kind of floated up the stairs and to my hotel. The whole experience was surreal and wonderful, a New York moment that I will NEVER forget!

Another favorite moment occurred on the same trip as my subway encounter. I was walking along the Greenway near the East River. Due to some construction I had to cross over FDR Drive using a pedestrian bridge. I was pretty far north, in the Harlem vicinity. I was (as you always should be in New York) very aware of my surroundings. As I made the turn to ascend the ramp to the bridge, I noticed a man above me on the ramp. My immediate inclination was to turn around and go back where I came from and cross the FDR further north. That would mean backtracking 5 miles! I know that backtracking in travel can be fun and enlightening, but I had already been walking over 15 miles that morning and didn't relish an additional 10 miles of already covered area. I forged ahead and moved up the ramp. It was one of my best New York decisions! The gentleman greeted me as I neared. Then he welcomed me to his "home." He and his wife (I met her a few minutes later as she looked out from her tent.) live on the bridge ramp! He showed me the mirror hanging on the chain link fence which he uses to get ready every morning. He showed me the cooler where they keep their food. He showed me the tent they sleep in. It was amazing, humbling. I was careful to thank him for showing me around and for allowing me to pass through. It was another surreal New York experience. I returned the next day and gave his wife some cookies, bottled water, and $10. I let her know that her family would be in my prayers. They remain on my daily prayer list. Below is a picture of the area very close to where the bridge ramp started.



My final New York moment to share does not belong in the same class as these other two events, but I have to share it. This was one of those true touristy situations which I usually avoid. On this particular occasion I gave in to tourist-temptation. After seeing the play If/Then (which was not very good and soon closed) I hung around the theater afterwards to meet the star. Wait for it.... Idina Menzel! I had to wait along with the other 50 million tourists (slight exaggeration) to catch a glimpse of a famous person. Really?? Well, an hour of post theater waiting paid off. As she made her weary and protected way to her black SUV (There are a million of them in New York.) she chose my playbill to autograph! Really!! It was one of those New York moments that everyone wants to experience, and I had done it!


It's hard to see, but look at that black scribbly mark across the title and the girl!


Three New York moments. In my memory forever. Moments that have changed my perspective, my prayer life, my passions. New York moments are the best! Be sure and share yours in the comment section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment