Friday, August 11, 2017

How to Make Your Trip More Meaningful

"'You don't know how kind people are until you go traveling,' she thought. 'Travel is very broadening.'" -- Betsy in Betsy and the Great World

This is a list of suggestions you can apply to a myriad of travel destinations. Visiting other cities, hitting the tourist hotspots, and following the guidebooks is one thing, but here are some ideas to make your trips stand apart.

1)Find a hiking/nature trail.
This is not difficult, especially in recent times as more and more cities are encouraging their residents to walk more. I have searched "nature trail" in my GPS, asked residents, or just driven around till I found a surprise trail. Walking outside on a trail enhances more of your senses which in turn gives you more memories. The sights you will see while walking will also give you more to remember!

I have walked trails in Florida, Kentucky, Minnesota, North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi and have special memories of each trail. I found one of my favorite trails at Lettuce Lake Park in Tampa, Florida. It is boardwalk trail along the Hillsborough River. The walk is easy and gorgeous. There's even a 3-story observation tower  On one visit, we counted 15 animals! You can't forget something like that. (See link below for park address and complete description.)


      View from the boardwalk trail.

2) Try a new food.
I'm the kind of person who has my regulars at different restaurants. I just know what I like and am usually afraid to deviate from what I already know is good. While traveling however, I always make myself order a dish I don't usually get. I have not often been disappointed. (Yes, there was that one time at that restaurant in New York's Chinatown, but we'd better not go there.) The shrimp tacos order at The Seasalt Eatery was one of my successes. 

One of my most memorable "I think I'll have..." meals was in Wytheville, Virginia at the Bolling Wilson Hotel's Graze on Main. I am not usually a fish-person, but on the server's recommendation I ordered the blackened salmon. It was delicious!! Not only that, the outside dining area was quiet and peaceful, and the staff was very friendly. (Address and link below.)

My most recent success was at the Mall of America. I ate at the Twin City Grill and tried the Minnesota Wild Rice and Corn Chowder. It was delectable! I even went back another day and ordered it again. I totally recommend it. 



3) Visit with the people around you.
This applies to local residents and other travelers. There are so many occasions when you can just strike up a conversation with someone near you -- a restaurant, a bus stop, a train, an airport, and so many more. The conversations you have and the connections you make with other people will stay in your memory forever, and the people themselves may actually have a lasting impact on your life. I have a friend who met another American while traveling in Italy and ended up with an offer of a place to stay in downtown Chicago. Wow!! 

I personally met a couple while I was visiting Jacksonville, Florida. I enjoyed dinner and a show at the Alhambra Dinner Theater, and was seated with a couple also visiting the area. We struck up a conversation, found that we shared a faith in Jesus, and just really hit it off! That was four years ago, and Jessica and I still "chat" and play Words with Friends. That's a memory that's not going anywhere! (The Alhambra Dinner Theater is also a must if you're ever in Jacksonville. The link is below.)

4) Shop for t-shirts at local thrift stores resale stores.
I have found these shops the absolute best place to purchase t-shirts. This is especially true in big cities. New York City is my big city of choice. I love to go to the Salvation Army stores in Manhattan and Brooklyn and pick up locally-themed t shirts for $5 and less. I now have shirts from Shakespeare in the Park, local schools, sporting events, and more. The shirts are also great for gifts for the people who have everything. Who doesn't need an already worn t-shirt from New York City with the name of a NYC public school printed across the back??? Awesome!! Also, it is so much fun for my ultra-organized self to shop for t-shirts on racks that are totally organized by color. These shirts are way more interesting than the usual touristy I 💙NY. (There's a list of a few addresses below.)


A few of my favorites!


5) Do something you've never done.
This is important to me. I make it a goal of mine on every major trip to do at least one thing I've never done. This applies to even my return trips to New York City; I do something new on each trip. Sometimes and in some places, this might mean you have to get creative, but do it. Creativity heightens memory. It's hard not to list all my "new" experiences here, but I will resist temptation and keep it at two. 

I stayed in a lodge at a state park. This was such a fun and relaxing experience! The lodge had a great buffet style restaurant, there were nearby trails, there was a beautiful lake. I never had to get in my car and go anywhere if I didn't choose to. The lodge was located at Pennyrile Forest State Park. (link below) I recommend this especially for a long fall week-end. The scenery is gorgeous, the food delicious, and the rooms comfortable. 

Another new experience was the Hard Hat Tour at Ellis Island. I absolutely love Ellis Island and have visited the museum about 4 times. I've read many books about people who passed through years ago. I dreamed of learning more about the experiences those people had, then I learned about the Hard Hat Tour! It gives visitors the opportunity to see behind-the-scenes rooms and hear more stories about the island's amazing history. I even got to go into a condemned building! It is a new experience that I highly recommend.


**Helpful Links





NYC Salvation Army Thrift Stores:
120 W. 14th Street  (my favorite)
220 E. 23rd Street
536 W. 46th Street
1243 Fulton Street (Brooklyn)


No comments:

Post a Comment