Tuesday, August 15, 2017

New York City Restaurants

"The most splendid dinner I ever saw, a profusion of rich dishes." -- John Adams -- First Continental Congress, 1774 at Fraunces Tavern

A 2010 survey found that New York City ranks #4 in the country for number of restaurants per capita. I personally am astounded by these findings. I would have thought it would come in higher than that, for sure. (To see the top ten, click here: Top Ten Restaurants per Capita; #2, what!!!!) In all my visits to the city, I have only repeated three restaurants; there are just too many out there, and I feel the compulsion to try as many as possible! I do have my favorites, however, that list is totally fluid; with each visit, I find another restaurant to love. I am definitely not a restaurant critic, or even a foody. I am drawn to the restaurants I like using these criteria: historical importance, location, service, interesting clientele, cost, and taste. None of the places on my list are 5-star or even terribly spectacular; I just like them.

One of my favorite "go-to" restaurants in the city is Manhattan Diner. It's just around the corner from my hotel, so it's a good place to go when I need to grab a bite before heading out somewhere. The food is good, and the portions are extremely generous (especially for New York). The staff is very personable. One of the things I love about Manhattan Diner is that it's a locals restaurant. I've seen people come in and not even have to order their drinks because the server just already knows. I love that! Once I watched them lay out an entire meal at a table before the elderly lady who sat there even arrived! Their menu is varied, and I have ordered several different items and loved them all. They have desserts, but I've always been too full to get one. I think my favorite selection there was the Argentinian Style Grilled Skirt Steak Wrap. Mmmmmm! It was one of my try-something-new choices, and I was very satisfied.


Located at 2532 Broadway (between 94th and 95th Streets)

Another restaurant which I love for quite different reasons is Fraunces Tavern. This small quaint establishment is located in the Financial District. The building was first used as a restaurant in 1762. It has been the meeting place for the Sons of Liberty, a headquarters for George Washington, and is currently a museum and restaurant. I am always in awe when I eat there, because, hey, I'm eating exactly where George Washington ate!!!  The attraction of the restaurant for me is the history, but the food is yummy (though not inexpensive). My favorite is the chicken pot pie! 

NYC restaurants




                                                                                                                                                                                                               Located at 54 Pearl Street
                                                                                                            Fraunces Tavern Menu 

The next two restaurants on my list are strictly touristy. I have been to both of them more than once, but never by myself. I only go to take someone who has never been. The food is pretty expensive at both places, but you're paying for the entertainment at the first and for the name at the second.

Ellen's Stardust Diner is the restaurant where aspiring Broadway actors and actresses work while they are trying to get their "big break." To the delight of all diners, these talented young people sing in the restaurant while serving you. Having a meal there may be a chunk of change, but it's also a very unique experience!


Located at 1650 Broadway (on the corner near Wicked)

New York City (including all boroughs) is simply packed with pizza parlors, restaurants, stands, etc. The most popular is probably any that say "brick oven." It is almost overwhelming when you try to choose a place to get a pizza. The locals all have their favorites, so if you want a really good pizza, ask the doorman at your hotel, the cabby, the guy next to you on the train. For a certified tourist-fix, go to Grimaldi's Under the Bridge. The "bridge" is the Brooklyn Bridge, and yes, Grimaldi's is in Brooklyn. I did not find the staff to be the friendliest or the pizza to be the ultimate best, but I have been twice to experience it with two different friends. I like the pizza, and it's an interesting place to go. Tons of celebrities have been there, so pictures are everywhere. Brooklyn is a great place to go anyway, so why not Grimaldi's? There are many "Grimaldi's" out there, so make sure you go to the one under the bridge.


        Located at 1 Front Street in Brooklyn (white building)
                                    Grimaldi's  





Wherever you go, rest assured it will be an experience (hopefully good). New York has so many ethnic restaurants that you'll never have to eat the same kind of food twice unless you just want to. One of my favorite things about any NYC restaurant is people watching; that always makes the meal anywhere more fun! Enjoy and comment below about your favorite New York restaurant!

No comments:

Post a Comment