Monday, August 21, 2017

Speaking of the Sun

"God made the two great lights, the greater light to govern the day, and the lesser light to govern the night; He made the stars also. God placed them in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth, and to govern the day and the night, and to separate the light from the darkness; and God saw that it was good." -- Genesis 1:16-18

Today, we will experience an amazing natural phenomenon, the total solar eclipse. The last one in the United States occurred in 1979, and the next one will not be until 2024. People are excited! Me, not so much. I had a 10.5 hour drive across the Path of Totality yesterday. I had to cut short a special trip due to traffic concerns. The traffic was crazy!

We humans are fascinated with the sun, the moon, the stars, and the planets. My prayer is that we would be more fascinated by the Creator of these heavenly bodies. The fact remains that people always seem to put great stock in the movements and behaviors of these celestial objects. The whole thing has made me think about another one of my New York Moments.

I am always on the lookout for interesting and unique things to do on my trips to NYC. Prior to my summer of 2016 trip I saw online that on an evening during my visit the sunset would line up exactly with New York's east-west streets! That sounded like a really neat thing to see! As I planned my trip I scheduled myself to be in Riverside Park at sunset of that night. What did not occur to me (in my self-absorption) was that many people would want to see this same unique event. 

I went to the park a little before sunset and got some great pictures, and then made my way east along the closest street. (I was in the 90's.) I soon realized that the street was quite empty! I turned around and was shocked to see that the police had set up barriers blocking off the street, and there were hundreds, maybe thousands, of people there to see MY unique event! I ended up feeling even happier that I was involved in a New York special event and got over the fact that my important sunset discovery was not as secret as I had thought! It is now one of my very special New York moments.






No comments:

Post a Comment