Sunday, August 13, 2017

Where to Stay in NYC...

"To an outlander a stay in New York can be and often is a series of small embarrassments and discomforts and disappointments: not understanding the waiter, not being able to distinguish between a sucker joint and a friendly saloon, riding the wrong subway, being slapped down by a bus driver for asking an innocent question, enduring sleepless nights when the street noises fill the bedroom. Tourists make for New York, particularly in summertime -- they swarm all over the Statue of Liberty (where many a resident of the town has never set foot), they invade the Automat, visit radio studios, St. Patrick's Cathedral, and they window shop. Mostly they have a pretty good time. -- from Here is New York, by E. B. White

I have visited NYC eight times over the last several years and have developed some strong opinions about the city. First of all, I LOVE IT!!! I do; it's fantastic! Second. I don't really like Times Square. I know; what's wrong with me? It's just too full of tourists, and I'm like a part-time resident now. (I wish!) Those two opinions being stated, I stay in a hotel well removed from the madness of Times Square. One of my favorite areas in New York City is the Upper Westside, and I've found a hotel there that meets all my needs. It is on a quiet corner, halfway between Central Park and Riverside Park. It's around the corner from a major 1, 2, 3 Subway stop. (By riding a 2 or 3, you can be at Times Square in three stops!) The hotel is near a great restaurant, a deli, a frozen yogurt shop, and a Duane Read. It's my home-away-from-home.

My hotel of choice is Days Broadway. It is on Broadway and 94th Street. There may be fancier hotels further downtown, but I am quite happy with this small quiet setting. They are gradually renovating the rooms, and I have been impressed with the new look. The rooms are on the smaller side, but since I usually vacation alone that has not been a big deal. There is no restaurant, but that's not unusual for a hotel in the city.  There is a concierge on duty through the day, a doorman, a friendly front desk staff, and conscientious housekeeping staff. There is also an onsite fitness room, which I have never used because I usually get enough exercise from power-walking everywhere.
NEW INFORMATION!!! This hotel has become very rundown. They have also gone up in price. Does that even make sense???? I have read terrible reviews lately. I will not be staying there again until I hear anything different!!!

I have stayed in three other hotels on different visits. The first I can't even remember the name of; I was THAT unimpressed. I have also stayed at Hotel Pennsylvania and Milford Plaza (now called Row NYC). Both of these hotels are in the Times Square area. They each average $150 - $160 a night in the summer, while Days Broadway averages closer to $140. A bigger consideration for me than the $10/night difference is that I can walk out of my hotel at any time and not have to step over or around a homeless person. That has become a big problem in the Times Square area.

Through research, I have found that it is better to reserve your room directly through the hotel, especially if you are a member of any rewards program like Wyndham Rewards. Also, direct reservations increase your chances of a free upgrade. I got that once at Days Broadway, and it was awesome!

great hotel in new york city




If you decide to visit NYC and you stay here, be sure to comment and let me know how your stay went. I hope that you are satisfied with anything that I recommend, and if not, I'd like to know.

**Hotel Notes:
Days Hotel Reservations
Address: 215 West 94th Street
Phone: 1-866-238-4218





No comments:

Post a Comment