Saturday, July 20, 2019

PCH Day 3 -- Pacific Grove/Monterey

“The tide goes out imperceptibly. The boulders show and seem to rise up and the ocean recedes leaving little pools, leaving wet weed and moss and sponge, iridescence and brown and blue and China red. On the bottoms lie the incredible refuse of the sea, shells broken and chipped and bits of skeleton, claws, the whole sea bottom a fantastic cemetery on which the living scamper and scramble.” -- John Steinbeck, Cannery Row 

I spent the first part of today in Monterey at Fisherman's Wharf and Cannery Row. Monterey is much busier than Pacific Grove and is more of the hangout for tourists, which makes it not as appealing to me. The wharf was like the wharf in San Francisco on a much smaller scale, with candy stores, souvenir shops, candy stores, restaurants, and candy stores. This was also the spot to take any kind of charter boat. I walked around a while and then took the free trolley to Cannery Row. The trolley runs between the parking garages (where you can park for the day for $7), to the wharf, to Cannery Row, to the aquarium (the most popular destination in Monterey). 

Cannery Row reminds me of Faneuil Hall Market Place in Boston, just not quite as enjoyable. I'm not sure exactly why I prefer Boston. I think it might be the historical time period. Cannery Row is full of history, just not that time period that so appeals to me like colonial/revolutionary. The area is full of many shops and restaurants and a wax museum, laser tag area, and, you guessed it, candy stores! 





After Cannery Row I returned to Fisherman's Wharf and bought a ticket on the glass bottom boat. (You may have seen the movie by that name, starring Doris Day. Her father's boat was much bigger and was off of Catalina. If you haven't seen it, you should!) My boat was The Little Mermaid. The cost was $18 for 30 minutes (kind of a splurge). I wanted to see sea otters up close, but it didn't really work. Also I sat next to an obnoxious couple who talked the ENTIRE time. They kept telling their kids everything they were seeing, how everything worked, what a great time they were having, what the captain was saying while he was saying it... AAAHHH! I also learned that it is NOT a good idea to be first in line to get on the boat. That promises you the worst seat possible. And for those of you who know me, you know I am always early and first in line. Again, AAAHHH! All that being said, I got to see cool kelp beds and shot some good sea lion footage.






After my short cruise I returned to Pacific Grove and walked to the beach. I like that my hotel is 1/2 a mile from the beach in one direction and 1 mile from the beach in the opposite direction. The sun finally came out after a very cloudy morning and early afternoon, so I actually got some sun for the first time on this trip. I sat and watched the waves break on huge rocks and also walked about 2 miles along a beach trail. At Lovers Point Park I was surprised by a sand squirrel as it popped out of a hole just as I was walking over the hole. These squirrels are not shy at all because people are feeding them. I also saw another tsunami sign which never fails to interest me.












I finished my day with another visit to Michael's Grill & Taqueria. I know, but I couldn't help it. That wrap is just too good, and I won't be around to have another one. Plus I am the kind of person who can eat the same thing every night if I like it. Tomorrow I will be in a new town south of here. Stay tuned for my continued journey down Highway 1...

No comments:

Post a Comment