Monday, July 22, 2019

PCH Day 5 -- Cambria

"Once you have traveled, the voyage never ends, but is played out over and over again in the quietest chambers. The mind can never break off from the journey." -- Pat Conroy (author of The Water is Wide)

I know exactly how Pat Conroy feels. I am glad that I have all these pictures from my trip, but I know that I will also be carrying with me the memories forever. My mind is full of the excitement of watching the tide crash in over the rocks that I was sitting on minutes before, the anticipation of hunting for the best rocks on Moonstone Beach, the joy of locating the most beautiful tide pools ever, and the fascination of observing baby sand squirrels for over half an hour! I will try my best to share with each of you as much of these experiences as I can.

I spent today walking on beaches searching for stones and tide pools. I found the best larger stones on the beach near the San Simeon hotel stretch, the best smaller stones on the beach near the Cambria hotel stretch, and the most amazing tide pools at San Simeon State Beach which is on the northern end of Moonstone Beach Drive. I also walked around in Cambria, had lunch, and found Nit Wit Ridge. This is a 3-level fantasy environment created and built by Art Beal. He created it from collected materials, some of which he "collected" at Hearst mansion from their construction material. He hollowed out a 2.5 acre hillside in Cambria, used his "trash" as landfill, then created gardens, buildings, arches, fountains, and walkways.

Today was peaceful and relaxing. I move on again tomorrow and am joyfully anticipating new adventures further south. I am so glad to be able to take all my readers along with me. Enjoy all the pictures below!

Oh, I almost forgot my surprise for the day! As I was driving towards Cambria early this morning, I looked to my left and saw... wait for it... zebras! They were grazing in a pasture beside other regular cattle. I read that William Randolph Hearst used to have the world's largest private zoo. After his death, most of the animals were sent to other zoos, but the zebras and some others were allowed to roam free. The zebras I saw are some of their offspring.



















Cool surface of large boulders at Moonstone Beach. You can see where smaller stones were embedded in the boulder.

Below are pictures of the awesome tide pools I found. 






No comments:

Post a Comment